Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Homemade wipe solution


As I mentioned in earlier posts, my baby girl has had some baaaaaad diaper rash. It makes sense as I have pretty sensitive skin, too. When we were travelling in August it reached an all time nastiness and I had to make a solution on the road with some help from an herbalist in Kaua'i. It was originally just aloe vera juice and bottled water chilled before and after use. No double-dipping and being very careful not to get the solution dirty with my hands was a must.
As I continued to use this solution over the past two months I noticed the baby girl's diaper area wasn't smelling too fresh in between changings so I decided to amp up the cleansing agents in the wipe solution. Here is the new wipe solution:
equal parts: aloe vera juice (lily of the desert brand) and witch hazel (Humphrey's)
the rest-chilled, bottled water
I have used cut-up cloth diapers but most recently ordered some great hemp and organic cotton cloth wipes.
The kinds I am using are: Babykicks and Happy Heiny from http://bananapeelsdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=170
This has been working great!

No comments: