Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Better for the body, better for the environment

When I went to skin care school in 2003 I gained a world of information about product ingredients, food's effect on the body's largest organ and natural skin care lines. Since then, I have "cherry-picked" from brands and tried different things depending on what my skin needed. I have become very discriminating as far as mainstream brands go. I usually go to Whole Foods for my skin care or our local market Oliver's. Here are my favorite skin care brands:
Desert Essence Organics Facial Care--they make an incredible "Age Reversal Pomegranate Face Serum." It is really hydrating and regenerative.
Mychelle Fruit Enzyme Cleanser--it is sulfate free and uses organic essential oils and ingredients. I used this on some hormonal acne on my chin and it exfoliated it and helped it heal pronto.
Alba botanica-- I have loved EVERYTHING I have tried from them. I love their emollient body lotion called Daily Shade with spf 16 and alpha hydroxy. I have used almost their entire Hawaiian line including the aloe and green tea oil-free moisturizer, the hibiscus toner and pineapple face wash. Alba is owned by Avalon organics and they have an incredible line of Lavender products.
Better Botanicals--I love their sandalwood moisturizer and rose tulsi toner.
Earth Science-- I have sensitive eyes and I really like their chamomile and green tea eye makeup remover.
JASON pure, natural, organic--their Healthy Mouth gel tooth paste with tea tree and CoQ10 is very nice and really does make your mouth feel clean.
So..on to baby products..BTW I have tried all of these baby products. If it didn't bother my sensitive skin I would pass it on to baby.
On the bottom of a babe and all that dewey baby skin I will only put organic products--hands down. Here are some of the products that I have used on my little gal:
Avalon organics Baby Weightless Nourishing body lotion--I have used this on baby girl since her first week home. I love it for her skin as well as mine.
Avalon organics Baby Protective A, D, E ointment with chamomile--love this for protecting those chubby thigh folds from chafing.
Avalon organics Baby cornstarch powder--Talc is found to be a contributor to respiratory problems (asthma) so it uses baking soda, cornstarch, calendula and chamomile to soothe, cool and keep dry. My baby girl coos whenever I put this on her.
California Baby Calming hair and bodywash--perfect for evening baths.
California Baby Bubble bath--this stuff is incredible. It does not contain any chemical sudsing agent but coconut-derived sudsers. To get it to really bubble it you have to work the water a little but it is well worth it. We have tried: Overtired and Cranky, Light and Happy, Chamomile and Herbs, and my favorite..I Love You. The I Love You bubble bath has my favorite essential oils in it, ylang ylang and sweet orange.
California Baby warming Massage oil--in I Love You. You just rub it between your palms and the friction warms the oil. Baby loovves this massage oil.
California Baby diaper area wash/spray--Excellent wipe solution alternative. Also a great boo-boo spray.
I have used California Baby the most often because I totally believe in their products and their philosophy. All of their essential oils are grown sustainably and without any pesticide use. Also, none of their products contain synthetic fragrances. Even though it is pricier than some other products you might find the product line is concentrated so you get a lot for your money. It just smells so good, too!!!
I have found that my skin, my body and my baby's skin has responded really positively to organic products. It makes me feel good to know that the ingredients have been grown without leaving a footprint on the earth and that the bottles are made of the easiest type of plastic that can be recycled: HDPE #2
Avalon organics was the first organic line of skin care products that I researched for my own use years back. I have a soft spot for this company. They are committed to using sustainable agriculture to grow their ingredients, using recycled materials for their marketing and literature and providing their client with organic plant-based emollients and essential oils.
So, enjoy delicious-smelling, organic products and feel good about them.

1 comment:

roseylittlethings said...

Great info!! Love that you test everything:)