Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Clothes, clothes everywhere but...not organic.

When I was a kid my Gpa Len would say: Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink. Well, that's how I felt when I began registering for organic blankets and clothing for my still unborn baby last fall. The market is getting more and more compaies who carry these things as time goes by made with bamboo, soy, wool and cotton. However, at the time I was torn between registering with places that offered organic items and registering somewhere where my shower guests and relatives could shop for little baby Maya. It was agonizing trying to find inexpensive organic blankets and crib sheets and towels (don't even get me started on organic hooded towels). I ended up finding some cute options at babiesrus.com and target.com like the following:
bumkins organic wash cloths
organic cotton fitted crib sheet by T.L Care
bumkins organic burp cloths
organic cotton thermal receiving blanket by T.L Care (we loved these)
So, back to the hooded towel dilemma. It makes me really mad when we have to pay so much extra for a non-toxic, sustainable version of a major necessity. I understand that they are not made as widely and organic farms producing organic cotton are not as common. BUT STILL. It is just frustrating. Finally I got some from Baby Gap that were 100% organic and were around 25.00 per towel. Yikes! I love them and they are soft and luxurious and have a bear face on the hood.
Probably one of my favorite organic purchases was the set of Adin and Anais muslin, organic swaddle blankets. They are pricey (around 50 for a set of 3 or 4) but the most all-purpose thing I have. I can use it for:
a stroller cover for sunny days
a blanket for Maya to play on on the floor or grass
to swaddle her in
a stroller blanket for cool days
a blanket big enough to tie onto the ergo carrier so that she is covered but the blanket isn't blowing around (excellent for the beach).
As far as clothing goes, it is more expensive but you can feeeeeeeeeeel the quality. Baby Soy clothing is made with by-products of making tofu and soy milk and such and then mixed with cotton and safely dyed. Such cute clothes and not that pricey. She has the set of pink and chocolate kimono tee with matching pink pants.
I have only found one organic item that was not up to par and I think that that was because the maker GAP is new to working with organic fibers. I bought an organic, cream colored onesie that was sort of sloppy-fitting and flimsy. I have faith that they will come around, though.

No comments: