Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cloth, disposable, or biodegradable?? Oh my??!

So, as my baby was nearing her entry to the rest of the world (outside my uterus) I was really going back and forth about what kind of diapers I would use. I told myself that I was going to use chlorine free 7th generation diapers till she was big enough for G diapers. I knew that I had no idea how much my baby would be going through diapers each day and wanted to kind of give myself a break (at the environment's expense--so sorry!) by using the 7th gen disposables. When Maya came home from the hospital her tiny booty was so flat and tiny that not even the smallest 7th gen size fit her. I felt like I was going to vomit as I put the huggies brand that my husband ran out and got. I was doing something I swore I would never do. Every time I put one on her with the butterflies and decorations and super-moisture-wicking-but-containing-harmful gel crotch I felt terrible guilt. As soon as Maya fit in them we bought G diapers and she used them during the day and the 7th gen diapers at night (the first round of g's leaked). They were awesome with their adorable outer cover with velcro..we used them from the time she was about 3 or 4 weeks old till she was 6 months old. I love that the inserts are biodegradable and that the outers are so easy to clean. I was still feeling bad, however, about tossing them in the garbage many times per day (g diapers and low-flow toilets don't love each other) even though they decompose in less than 30 days. I figured that since I was doing the laundry anyway, that I would look into cloth diapers. My girl had also broken out in a horrible, determined diaper rash that was not getting better with the usual combo of g diapers and Weleda calendula cream.
Our first set of cloth diapers were Bumkins. Bumkins waterproof cloth diaper sets are pvc free, pthalate free, vinyl free and bpa free. Basically everything you need in products that will be next to your baby. I ordered a set at a good price form Costco.
They come with cotton inserts and you can also buy bamboo boosters for heavy wetters (my girl is one). I really liked the outer designs and they are sturdy,albeit bulky. I was noticing that even with the cotton insert and bamboo booster that my girl was wetting through all the way to the core of the diaper. YEESH. I was going through 4 diapers a day, easy.
So, I thought I'd do a little research and see what other moms like and I got a lot of good info on Fuzzi Bunz. Fuzzi Bunz (LOVE THE NAME) is a pocket diaper that is made in the US and snaps to fit a big weight range (more for your money, friends). For example, size medium fits 15-30 pounds. The part that touches your baby's precious privates is made of fleece with a pocket that holds a microfiber insert that absorbs more liquid than I ever would have thought. The fleece seems to wick the pee and other goods away from baby's skin and the insert in the pocket soaks it up. I am able to use one diaper for 2-3 changes with just a swap of the insert!!!! Love it!!! Just don't use diaper cream with these diapers.
Now, back to the diaper rash. My girl had such a bad rash beginning while we were on vacation in Kaua'i that I had a sales clerk at a local health store help me make my own wipe solution--straight aloe vera juice and a little cool water. It helped heal the rash and we are still doing that at home. In a pinch or on the go we've used the California baby diaper area wash spray with cloths from home. I just got cloth diapers and cut them up to make wipes. Voila!!

No comments: