Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Making homemade baby food with lots of love


I love making food for my baby girl. With the exception of grains, tofu and yogurt, I make all of my girl's food. I love going to: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ and getting ideas for really nutritious, organic purees and finger foods. This website has given me the confidence to whip up creations for our baby.
Something that I am really excited about that jarred baby food doesn't seem to provide much of is eating seasonal foods. I think that it helps create a bank of memories and sensory experiences to eat the fruits and veggies that are growing locally. It also is better for the environment as the foods are grown nearby and not shipped from Exotic places. We have had lots of pumpkin sweet potato with cinnamon and ginger, yams, zucchini and squashes boiling on the stove lately and it is just heaven. The leaves are falling outside and we are inside with our baby eating delicious comfort foods. Pureed apples and pears have been a big favorite mixed with yogurt and wheat germ.
Since our baby girl is still under 10 months we haven't had a chance to try spinach and chard in her food (too high in nitrites for under 10 months) but hopefully she will have some pureed soon.
As we are trying a lot of new finger foods our girl is eating chopped banana dusted in wheat germ, sauteed tofu dusted in wheat germ, slightly cooled hard-boiled egg yolk, cottage cheese, Oatios (organic version of cheerios plus more protein) and vanilla teething biscuits: http://www.healthytimes.com/htbabybiscuits.htm.
With lots of new foods comes a little more gas as our girl is prone to it already. I am making her weak teas of fresh ginger and chamomile to ease the tummy ache.
It feels really good to know that in addition to breast milk, the food I make for Maya is clean, healthy and organic.

No comments: